photo from flickr

Thursday, April 8, 2010

cheeseburger pie

Healthy people, avert your eyes! Anybody else, wanna try something yummy?

I grew up with a (working) Mother that was a very traditional, healthy cook. I had never even heard of a casserole, until I went to college! I don't know how she did it. We had a lean meat or fish, fruit and fresh veggie for dinner every night...with one exception, CHEESEBURGER PIE! There ain't nothing healthy 'bout this, but I promise you, there will be a lot of clean plates.

Here's what to do:
Dice up a yellow or sweet onion and saute it in a little bit of oil, until caramelized. Add 1 lb of lean ground beef and brown. Drain fat. Mix in 1 small can of tomato paste and let cool just a bit.

(You'll need two tubes of refrigerated crescent dough for the next part) While that is cooling, lay out 1 1/2 of the tubes of the dough in sort of a sunflower shape in a pie pan. Fill with cooled beef and top with shredded sharp-cheddar cheese. Fold the crescents in over the meat, and fill in any gaps with extra crescents. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes.

Let me know if you try it! So good. ♥