photo from flickr

Friday, June 12, 2009

thrifty friday and little bit of repurposing

June is definitely thrifting paradise around here! All week long I check the garage sale section of Craigslist making a list of which ones look the most promising.
Lately, I've hit the vintage childrens' book jackpot. I just can't leave vintage books behind - even if they aren't in super great condition. The pictures are so wonderfully vibrant. I found all 6 of these books for less than $5. I was especially thrilled to find The Gift of the Magi and Thumbelina.




The Bumper Book has this sweet prayer by A.A. Milne.



This is a vintage Samsonite bag that came from the Goodwill Outlet for only $1. For me, finding a really cool bag/purse while thrifting is like finding the holy grail. ;) We've got an upcoming trip to Chicago and I can't wait to use this candy apple beauty for a carry on. :)

I've managed to find a few more pieces of milk glass to add to my new collection. I dropped in some tea lights and they look so pretty!


I picked up this old shelf at a yard sale for only 50 cents - spray painted it and hung it in the living room. It works to "anchor" this painting to the wall. By the way - this painting came from Etsy from this seller. Who also happens to be a friend of mine. She's an awesome artist.






And lastly, these candle holders "were" a branch that fell from a tree in our yard. My father-in-law used a drill with some kind of large attachment to make a place for tea lights. Much better than chopping up the branch for the yard waste, I think.
Happy thrifting!

6 comments:

Delena said...

What fun finds you've made. I love that shelf.

Jen said...

Wow! You really found some good ones! What a great idea for the milk glass...adding little tea lights in them. Love that!

Sybille said...

These candle holders are so nice!

Miller Moments said...

I really need to go thrifting with you! You always find such great deals. Love you friend!

Jane said...

I love the tree limb candle holders they are so fun! I love going shopping at thrift stores I just have to get my nerve up to hit the garage sales now : ) Thanks for the fun post!

I also wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a watermelon award :) I wasnt sure how else to share this with you so I thought I would add it to this comment.

You can cut and paste from my blog and then just list 6 things that make you happy and pass the award on to 6 more bloggers. Don't forget to put the melon on your blog, as well! You can list it as an award on the side now, too.

If you don't have time to do this, please let me know so I can nominate someone else :)

Michelle said...

Those candle holder are the BEST!